Sunday, March 14, 2010

weekend stuff

100_1912[1]I have been wanting one of these for-ever! I originally saw it in a magazine at my Mom's house and don't remember which one because she subscribes to a bazillion. Probably one of the quilting ones. Anyways, I found a broken embroidery hoop at the thrift for like .10 cents or something and picked it up with the intention of making one of these. It's in the top edge sewn in between the lining and outer bag to hold it open. I think you could probably just use boning for the same effect. I made the pincushion with an extra layer inside so that I could divide the stuffing. On one side is beans for weight and the upper side is regular stuffing. The little straps turned out really cute, I used some embroidered ribbon that I ♥love♥ and then sewed it down to some wide bias tape. Et voila!
100_1909[1] So, I've been wanting to try out some Mod Podge. I had no ideas and then I went to Home Depot and found a piece of wood in the scrap section for .51 cents! Out of that one piece of wood I had the super helpful guy cut it into 5 sections that are about 6x9 or so. Then, painted the piece of wood green. After it was nice and dry I covered it with Mod Podge and layered paper cut with my Cricut, the shamrocks I freehanded though. After that was dry then added the other embellishments. At that point I was sort of stuck because I couldn't decide between the buttons and the flowers. Husband came in and was like "why don't you just go all out and do both?" uh, huh. Yep, that's what I needed. So, it's in the kitchen above the stove. I definitely will try the Mod Podge thing again, but I need to fine tune for sure. There are some air bubbles and I think I'd rather the gloss finish than the matte that I used.
100_1907[1]
So, I had a Godstop this weekend. Well Friday night really. So, I have had a little bit of a drought when it comes to hearing from God, like feeling close to Him and stuff. And, frankly right now in my life I feel very alone. I won't elaborate there, but I do feel that way. So, I ran into a lady that I know from church named Shannon on Wednesday. Pretty randomly too - she came into the office I work at looking for a different office. And she invited me to a workshop and game night at church on Friday night from 6-midnight. And I thought, hmmm. Maybe, maybe not. See I have a little issue with "fellowshipping". I'm not very good at small talk anyways and especially if I feel like it's fake, or nothing in common, or too personal, or I'm just weird anyways so there you have it. It's such a Christian buzzword and it drives me crazy. So I avoid it. But, Friday night came around and I had no plans, nothing to do. Talked to hubby and he was like, maybe just check it out, there's no rule that says you have to stay if you don't want to. I went and was, of course, late walking in. It was on a potentially simple topic - "Quiet time with God" aka "Devotional time". Aha! Something I've been meaning to do but haven't because I'm not a morning person, I don't have time, I don't feel like it, I don't know where to start, yadda, yadda, yadda. You know what I mean, there are a million and one excuses not to. I have to say it was very encouraging. There were 5 ladies doing the teaching, and they all shared the different ways that they have their quiet time. All of them were indeed in the morning, except one. Karen shared that she is not a morning person and so has her time at night. Good one! I had even made it one of my resolutions, and still wasn't doing it. But, I was hung up on having to do it in the morning. When I got home I picked a Gospel, prayed, read a little bit and journaled. It was good. The moral of the story I believe is that any time we make time for God is a good time. Not just in the morning :)

1 comment:

Evelyn said...

I love that thread-catcher-pin-cushion combo! Great job! I have something similar, and use it all the time. Well, my husband would say that I just as often throw the threads on the ground, but I really TRY to use it all the time. :-)