Friday, April 22, 2011

Friday finish

finished quilt frontAnd, so I finished the quilt today!  Well, mostly.  I still have some threads to clip.....but otherwise it is donezo!  I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.  I'm glad I went with the red binding.  Not sure I had mentioned it before, but the pattern I went with was actually a baby quilt pattern from the Moda Bake Shop.  I did add two extra borders and an extra row of squares to make it bigger, more of a throw size than a baby quilt sized.
finished quilt backHere's the back view.  I'm glad sometimes that I don't always quite have enough of a certain fabric so that I have to improvise!
quilt close upThis square here, the pink one is probably my favorite one :)
binding close upHere's a close up of the binding.  For the binding, I tried something new!  I had read somewhere on the web that bias binding is the way to go for bigger projects and ones that will get more use.  I had not heard that before....but I don't really have much experience other than what I read on other people's blogs, and frankly that's not really something that is a huge topic of conversation!  But, I tucked it away and thought, I've got to try it.  I stumbled across this tutorial from a google search and thought it made sense but even with the pictures, I couldn't picture it?  Not sure why.  But, she references this tutorial, and for some reason seeing just plain lines and measurements clicked for me.  So, that's the tute I followed for the binding I used.  I will say that matching up the lines with the parallelogram thing was trick-y!  I'm not even kidding when I say I ripped my seam out at least 4 times!!!!  5th time, I said "you know what who cares!  It doesn't have to be perfect!"  and I sort of fudged it a little bit, and it worked so no biggie :)  The measurements were spot on, so I really appreciated that.  All in all good stuff.

No comments: