Tuesday, April 20, 2010

book club and new bible study

Two things I'm pretty durned excited about: book club and bible study. I know, thrilling life I lead! Last week I briefly mentioned that I had started a new book club. Here are the details: it is through the church, called "Hidden Heart Christian Book Club", the first book is A Voice in the Wind by Francine Rivers. Last Tuesday was the first meeting where we all did the dreaded go around in a circle and introduce yourself thing, then took turns reading the first chapter out loud. I'm pretty sure that each meeting will be tres different from that one since we all will have read some of the book and can have discussion. One thing that I didn't realize but I'm actually looking forward to is that we will be working on memorizing scripture! Why, oh why would I be looking forward to that??? If you had read my blog like last year I had started trying to memorize scripture, then pooped out. I think that God is still working on me with this one, and I'm glad. It means He hasn't given up on me! And, it gives me something to concentrate on so that when I have a destructive thought, which I am prone to, I can try to focus on scripture instead. Good stuff.

Second thing I am excited about is that our bible study restarted again last night, with a new Beth Moore study! Ya-hooo! The study we chose to do this time is When Godly People do Ungodly Things. I say we chose, but really God chose it for us. We all put a name into a bowl of the study we would want to do off the list of available studies. We trusted God to pick the one that we all needed to do. I am so glad to get back to having bible study, namely a Beth Moore study. The thing is, I've learned more doing her studies than any other. I do think she's totally awesome, but truly I know that it is God working through her, she is just faithful to be out there and real with it. So, last night was cool to meet with the ladies and chat and we even did some reading out loud - why not, I'm getting so good at it! lol. To see where we're all at now and look back at where we all started is so amazing. We're all (except 2) really shy about praying out loud, and now we will all at least stutter through a prayer! Out loud. That might not mean anything to you, but to all of us it is huge!
I'll leave you with the first memory verse (that I have not memorized yet!):
Romans 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

No comments: