Thursday, September 11, 2008

Veggie Lasagna

1 jar of spaghetti sauce - I like Newman's Own Sockarooni or Tomato Basil
1 package lasagna noodles - I like the no-boil kind
mozzarella cheese (grated)
zuccini cut in thin slices
bell pepper, onion, mushrooms (all optional)
olives for garnish

I always start with a noodle layer, then layer sauce, then zucchini and then cheese. If you want to add the other veggies I just add them on top of the zucchini. I'm pretty generous with the sauce, I think it helps cook the noodles more thoroughly. It usually makes 3 layers in a 9x5(?) pan. I top with a layer of cheese and then put some olives on top. I cover with foil and bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees. My oven doesn't bake evenly so I bake things longer than normal. After an hour then I take the foil off so that the cheese can get a little browned and crispy.

I always use a cheese like jack or mozzerella because I don't like ricotta, but if you like ricotta it would be easy to add it in.

p.s., last night as I was making this I realized that I had NO olives!!! Bah! I was freaking out when I found waaaay in the back a can with 3 measly olives left in it! I still used them, hey I'm from California! and sliced them into a thin layer on the top. De-lish!

No comments: