Thursday, June 12, 2014

Easing into reading again

So since becoming a widow I haven't really been able to read much.  Staying focused is pretty tough - I use all my focusing energy at work!  A couple years before he died I started a journal of books I had read for the year with a little synopsis and review of that book along with the dates I read it.  Since I also like to listen to books on tape/CD I also added those in.  In 2012 I read/listened to 17 books.  One of my resolutions for 2013 was to try and read at least 2 a month.  I got off to a good start, from January to the end of March I read/listened to 9 books! Then, kablamo!  And reading went out the window.

I know I read one book, Divergent - but also memory is not as great still so I don't remember if I read it in 2013 or the beginning of 2014?  Anyways, I did continue listening to books while I sew.  And I did download a book onto my ipod so listened to City of Bones in the car.

Two things have become a recurrent thought - it's almost Summer and I need to try and read again.  For me, Summer always meant reading growing up.  School was out and I could spend all night if I wanted just reading and pretty much that's what I did alllll Summer break!  In the real world of having a job that I need to be at at 8am and awake I just can't justify that anymore lol!  I'm still not focused, but I'm going to ease back in.

I did start reading the Hobbit on 4-2-14 and I'm about 1/2way though.  See what I mean about easing?  lol  Seriously though I've had to make myself take time to read even just 1/2 a page sometimes.  One thing I will be eternally grateful to Scott is introducing me to books on tape!  He always had one going, or old time radio, or Lake Wobegon Days.  He loved stories or those old shows from before there was tv.  And I got so used to hearing it in the backround, too, that I picked it up as well.  I never thought I'd actually retain what I'd hear but I actually have.

So, new, slow-reading me goal is to read - actually read 4 books this year and as many books on tape as I can.  I feel like this is an attainable goal.  I did just receive a book in the mail I ordered from Amazon and was kind of excited to start it!

No comments: