Saturday, October 18, 2014

staring at patchwork


I'm at the point in this quilt top that I'm done with the squares and now I stare at it.  Sit back and stare.  Maybe shift a color here or there.  Stare some more.  I may or may not sew the squares together this weekend - we'll see.  This weekend I'm not committing to anything.  
 This past week was a doozy.  Lots and lots of changes happening at work.  People leaving, hopefully new people coming soon.  Until new people come in and get trained I anticipate some stress.  I'm trying hard to not worry because I know that God's got this.  In the big scheme of things this is nothing.  I am very, very sad to see the two who are leaving go.  V.sad.  And, selfishly I want them to stay.  Not just for the workflow bit.  
So, last night I went to dinner with my friend Karla and her two boys who are 4 and 2 years old.  It was really a fun time.  The boys like to dance and we were seated a fair bit away from anyone else so Karla, the boys and I were grooving in our seats.  I also played with a toy truck rolling it across the table with them.  Which was also great fun.  We laughed a lot last night!

It's always striking to me when a child likes me.  When you can feel that they invite your company and that it brings them joy.  I'm not around children very often, and being an awkward person by nature, I'm not always comfortable around them.  I don't know how to strike up conversation oftentimes with adults, let alone a 4 year old!  As we were leaving the youngest kept saying my name "Cleema" in his little 2 year old voice, and I'd repeat his and he'd giggle.  Then Karla told me, he can't say his own name but he can say yours.  And she said she thought that was really cool since she didn't consider my name easy to say (or remember I'd add) even for adults.  Talk about heart squishy moment!  So sweet.

Okay I'm going to stare at the quilt some more.

No comments: