Friday, September 19, 2014

saving money

One of the things my Mom and I talked about on our trip was saving money.  I was saying that I want to be more responsible about saving.  So, after paying my bills when I got home I took what was left in the checking and put a little chunk in savings.  And now, oh now.  Now I feel like my wings have been clipped, like I've been deprived of everything fun and potential beautiful things!!!!!  Ugggg.  I hate it.

And here's the thing that we really talked about.  I have more fabric than I could ever use.  I have TONS of beautiful yarn and I just bought new beautiful yarn.  I have food.  The dogs have food.  George does too.  My bills are paid.  And yet.  I want to keep spending.  I want to buy yarn right now, today, at the yarn shop to finish a square that I started!  Technically I can afford it.  But why do I want to spend all my money????

I have been thinking about this for a long time because let's face it, it's nothing new to me.  I still can't figure it out.  But, I have places I want to go.  I have things I want to do.  I have large purchases that someday I need to make.  So, I am reigning myself in a bit.

And really - maybe by doing this I will focus more on doing.  More on using what I already have.  I really like this saying "Use it up, wear it out, make do or do without."  I know I do that a lot already in certain areas of my life (shoes! & clothes) but in the frivolous category I go a bit overboard.  So, we'll see how I do.  I'm just putting it out there just to discuss, not to be harsh with myself.  Cus let's face it, I'm not going to change overnight.  Just going to be a little more deliberate and ask myself if I really need a new such and so before I spend. :)

No comments: