Monday, May 26, 2014

Memorial Day 2014

Last year on Memorial Day I drove over to Eagle Point National Cemetery where Scott's cremains are buried and was blown away by the sight of flags on every single grave.  I had not, of course, brought my camera since I didn't know that they did that.  This year, I came prepared.  I drove over late yesterday because the cemetery is open on Memorial Day and it's quite busy and I wanted a little privacy.  It was an absolutely gorgeous day, also very windy.
Right inside the main entrance is this flag display.

I found out that it's a school that comes to the cemetery to place the flags on the Friday prior to the holiday.  I thought that was kinda cool.

This is Scott's section.

 I take a little blanket and sit next to this site and tell Scott all about the previous two weeks.  I tell him how much I miss him, how his family is doing and how much they also miss him.  On holidays like this I thank him for his years of service.  It is comforting to me to do this.  Yes, I cry.  But it's a release.  And I like to make sure he has bright cheery flowers.  And then when the sprinklers come on in his section it's time to leave.
 Looking up the hill all the flag were waving in the wind.  Truly touching.
 This is the back entrance on my way out.  There were flags all along the entire perimeter of the cemetery.
 I had the boys with me in the back seat of course!  Joey likes to stick his head out the window and I got a good picture of that.  I love his face in this picture.  His cheeks flapping.
 Back in Klamath I was treated to a beautiful sunset across the lake.
Today, on Memorial Day I am thankful for those who have fought and died for our freedom.  And, yes, I am going to barbeque because I know that those who I am remembering, honoring, would want me to enjoy the day!  And have a hot dog ;)

No comments: