Sunday, May 25, 2014

bags and life

Here's what's been going on around here the last couple weekend: bag making!  So exciting, right?  Well, it's a little thing but I found a tutorial that showed how to put little tabs at the end of the zipper on pouches to put an end to that awful pucker that happens.  I'm digging it.
 Yesterday I made this drawstring pouch from a tutorial on In Color Order.  It was super duper easy!  And I do love a lined bag so will put this to use.  It's a little smaller than what I need right now so I'm going to make a bigger one today.
Edited to add this picture.  I needed a longer version of the above bag to accommodate a skein of Red Heart yarn which are longer than normal skeins of yarn.  It looks like a mini yoga bag :) Um and then I bought the pattern because I am crap at figuring out what size to cut things to turn out the way I'd like it to!  
Another thing going on around here is this:

That would be George lounging on the chest I bought last year at a yard sale that I intend to repaint.  So, last year Mom and I were driving to the coast and on the way out of town saw a yard sale.  Now, my Mom wants to stop at every yard sale, no matter what.  And she thinks I'm being mean to her when I don't stop.  But, this time I had spotted the chest and I wanted one to put Scott's stuff that I want to keep forever in.  So, I slammed on the breaks and pulled over.  Unfortunately, it was what I call a DOG SALE, which is a yard sale gone wrong.  And the chest was dusty and needs some TLC and it also has bits of pressed wood so not the greatest.  But, hey!  I'm cheap and felt a little cornered so paid the gal $10 and made a deal to pick up on the way back from the coast and we were on our way :)  When we got back Mom and I picked it up and I put it in the living room.  Where it sat in the middle of my living room for maybe a month or two.  I just wasn't ready to deal with it yet or try and figure out repainting.  So, I tucked it behind a chair I had by this window and it's been George's favorite perch to watch the world through the window.

BUT!  holy cow this is the longest story in the world -sorry.  BUT! I gave that chair away this week and the chest was exposed, I put the pillows that had been in the chair on the chest and voila! George has hardly moved since :)

I've been going to a counselor.  For my grief.  At first, I wasn't really sure it would be for me.  But, it's started to become something that I look forward to a little.  Every two weeks I know I'm going to get to talk to someone who doesn't make me feel like a freak about my anxiety, the crushing sadness, my stress, being a widow and all the challenges that come with that.  She's also a Christian so she points me to the ultimate counselor, God.  The weekend before last I went to the cemetery and it was actually a relief to talk to Scott, to just cry, let it out and not be completely wrecked when I left.  I also found some lime green mums to take, green was his favorite color.  I share this not to bring anyone down but because this is my real life.  This is why it's a struggle for me to even make one zippered pouch.  I know I've said it a million times - but the void from him being gone is so overwhelming!  I miss him so much, every single day.  But, I am trying.  I am figuring out who I am without him.

No comments: