Saturday, May 14, 2011

weekend update.

This will be sort of a short post today, I'm not feeling so fab.  A little nauseous and eewy.  But, I wanted to share what I've been working on lately. 
I finally conquered granny squares!  I'm glad I did because it's supposed to be the easiest thing to make crochet-wise and I wasn't quite getting it!  Bah.  I figured out my problem was that I hold the yarn too tightly.  I've mostly crocheted amigurumi dolls, and you want the stitches to be tight for those so that when you stuff them then the stuffing doesn't show through.  I relaxed my hands a bunch and voila!  I had signed up for a granny square swap on Swap-Bot.  It was a sender's choice for colors, my inspiration was an ad from a magazine for jewelry.  The different rings and earrings had peridot (green) and blue topaz together, and amethyst (purple) and rhodolite (dark pink) together.  I LOVE the combinations of gemstones so I thought it might translate well for granny squares :)
crocheted granny squares
So, last Saturday, while I was finishing these squares up, Jan called to see if I'd want to troll around with her.  We went to a few yard sales - ones my Mom would call a "dog sale" - and one of them had this little gem:
dollhouse
Seriously, I was running across the lawn to grab it up!  It was marked $5 (which I thought was a great price) but I am super cheap frugal so I asked if she'd take $4 and she did!  Eeeek!  So excited!  It's out in the craft house.  I'm planning to make new clothes for my old dolls and get furniture and carpet for that bottom floor and set up house!
This is the quilt I'm currently working on:
lodge quilt
I'm going to make more pine tree squares and then sash all the star, geese and pine tree blocks to match the size of the deer/bear paw blocks and then sew it all together.  I'm liking the way it's coming together.  Bonus is Hubs likes it too!  Well, that's not really fair because he likes everything I've made so far - but this is really his style, hunting and fishing.
I finished up the new Beverly Lewis book, The Thorn today.  It was pretty good, it's the first book of a trilogy and I'm wondering if I can figure out how it might go in the other books.  I noticed that her style in this book was just a teensy bit clipped compared to some of her others.  I still really liked it, just not quite as much as her previous ones.

No comments: