Thursday, May 5, 2011

encourage

     I've been thinking about this post all week.  It sort of started on Monday.  A gal I work with had made a quilt for her new baby and was thinking about all the mistakes she thought she had made.  What a familiar statement!  I pick apart my work, my quilts, my scrapbooking, my knitting, crochet, hair, body......everything!  So, I said bring it in and let's see if there's anything we need to fix and I'll help.  She did...and as suspected it was just fine.  Beautiful in fact!
     That night I went to bible study and the gal leading study paused at one point, feeling a little insecure, and asked if we were following, if we liked what she was saying, teaching.  She needed to hear that we liked what she was teaching, we understood what she was saying.
     Then, I started thinking about myself, as things usually do circle back that way.  I was thinking about how I even started quilting - some of it is because I am competitive and thought "I could do that" and wanted to prove to myself that I could.  And, now I love it.  I was encouraged, inspired, and a little jealous of what I saw other ladies (and some men) creating and HAD to join in.  I was thinking how incredibly cool that the whole community of bloggers, flickr and such have created and I'm so glad to be a part of it in even a miniscule way.  I started to think that I should blog about how important it is for us to encourage each other, to share what we've learned.
    Yesterday I was poking around, clicking links and what not, and came across a huge ugly mess.  Apparently there is some controversy going on in the quilty-blogland.  I'm unclear on how it started to surface, but seems like there have been rude comments posted on people's blogs judging that person's work.  I know that we all have our own opinions and maybe I might not like someone else's work - but boy!  I sure do appreciate how much time, thought, and work go into things!  Because I do the same thing.  I feel so lucky that so far I've only encountered nice comments, encouragement and support.  I am hard enough on myself that I don't need to hear any destructive comments!  Dang!  I feel awful for those who have had the mean comments made on their blogs.
     So, what's my point?  Just that we need to encourage one another!  Not only is it just plain nicer - I mean, who's Mom didn't tell them that if they didn't have anything nice to say not to say anything at all???  But, for me, I refer back to my ultimate reference - God's word.  Over and over I find the words encourage, encourage one another, and to watch what we may say.  No one is perfect, and I know that anything I say could be taken wrong, or maybe offend someone - but that is never my intent! 

1 Thessalonians 4:18 Therefore encourage one another with these words.

1 comment:

Judee said...

Good point! Fortunately, I have not been a victim of negative comments (yet). If I did, I would consider the source.