Sunday, February 7, 2010

cables, hot pads and swaps

I decided that 2010 is the year I will just be getting over certain "stuff", big and small. One of the things is my intimidation of certain knitting stitches. I have tried a few things in the past, but since I learned to knit from a book, some things just don't make sense until I've looked at it, or watched someone else do it. I finally worked up the patience to tackle cables. Yes, yes....everyone says how easy they are.....I'm not sure I completely agree yet. I still don't understand which way (CF or CB) makes the direction of the cable - so I did have to take my stitches out a couple times, and loosen up my tension a teensy bit so that when I was crossing the stitches it wasn't just slipping right off the needle. So - ta-da! Here are the first two specimens I've created with cables - cute little owls. I think I will turn them into pins. The edges curled up quite a bit so I ironed them and then sewed some felt onto the back. I found the pattern here.
Previously in my kitchen I have had pot holders all made by my Mom. And I've loved them! But, today I can say that I've made my very own pot holder for my kitchen!!!! I have to admit it came out a little wonky - the edges a little rippled. But, I love them! I found the idea here. Mom gave me the fabric a while ago and has been in my stash. The backing is Holly Hobbie!!!!! Oh how I love it so! Seriously I've been racking my brain trying to think of some reason to use that fabric! I still have TON left so I will have to come up with something else as well.
.
In swapping news, I sent out three packages yesterday. All of them for vintage FQ sheet swaps. One of them is being hosted by Jennifer at Rosey Little Things, the other is on Swap-bot.
I have to say something, and I was really trying not to be a brat about something, but frankly I just can't help it. So, I've been doing a few swaps, not a ton. The things I sent out I try to make something I would in turn want to receive. On the other hand, I'm wondering what some people think when they send stuff out??? I received a package yesterday and I was so excited. I opened it, and first of all the item was stained, there were yellow blotches. I was hoping it wasn't some sort of bodily fluid! And it was dirty. Like dirt dirty. I didn't wipe it because I was unsure what it could have on it. So sad.

1 comment:

roseylittlethings said...

so sad when people have no concept of what makes a good swap! LOVE LOVE LOVE the holly hobby fabric!!! Cables are not to hard once you get the hang of them:) A bit time consuming I think!