Monday, August 25, 2008

The Paradox of Hot Flashes

I have been getting hot flashes every month since I was 13 or 14, which means that for more than half my life I experience what an older lady does. I was in Walmart yesterday literally panicking because I was sweating and roasting! I made a make-shift fan out of one of those free hand outs in the craft section and was frantically fanning myself. I got several funny looks but I just didn't even care! I had beads of perspiration over my nose/cheek area. The funny thing is, every time I mention that I get these I get a certain sort of disbelief from people (like I would make it up!) and a condescending "You're too young for those". I KNOW I'm too young for those! Believe you me that I don't WANT them! My internal inferno is not pleasant, but I have figured out a little relief. This is crazy, but those heating pads that you stick on actually help! Who knew that adding more heat would actually help cool me down??? I guess I was just thinking how strange that is.... But, I'm hoping that maybe once I do get to that certain age I will be over them! Until then - menopausal ladies - I feel your pain!

No comments: