Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Apricot update











I was going to post a blog yesterday about the apricot project, but realized that I had forgotten my camera and it would be much more fun with pictures! I tried a batch with and orange juice dip, but let me tell ya - ewwwww! They were soooo tart! Which tart does have its place but not in this case! Also, they got extremely overdone! I'm thinking it's because of the altitude? We're at like 4500 feet and most recipes I have to adjust but didn't think about the dehydrating. The recipe said 24-36 hours and I only did like 17 and they were still super dry.
So, never fear! I tried again! And Hooray - I'm glad I did! The second try I used apple juice, nice and light flavor. And I cut the hours down to like 14, which turned out just about perfect. I'm very pleased with the final product. Next time I will know the right amount of time and I'm going to try guava juice. I thought that would be nice and sweet :)













On a completely different note, it has been so hazy here with fires and whatnot. And a little bit of oppressive heat - so I was sitting out in the yard doing my bible study homework since it was cooler outside than inside! And I took this pic because when it's hazy or foggy you can't see the hills in the backround of the lake that we live next to and I like to pretend it's the ocean! I know I'm a little silly - but it kinda does, doesn't it??? I like to think that we are on the coast and I could just walk down and put my feet in the sand and hunt agates! Or just sit on the beach and listen to the waves.


1 comment:

Tracee said...

Believe it or not you keep the amish friendship bread starter right on the counter. I believe that the milk acts as the yeast. Nope, doesn't get icky - it is a really good bread. I usually sweeten it up with chocolate chips...yummy!