Saturday, November 28, 2015

thankful

 It's been a few weeks since I've checked in.  It's been busy.  Also, I didn't have much to say.  So there's that.  This past week I was in San Diego for Thanksgiving with Scott's family.  I'm not going to go into detail as to the whys and whatnots - but I was nervous to go.  His Dad's side of his family has continued to include me in their lives so I really should not have been nervous.  Hmmm.  I'll back up a little.  I come from a small, scattered family.  Holidays were my Mom, brother and I.  Sometimes we would do something with one of my Mom's friends but usually it was a very subdued small affair.  Scott was the oldest of 6 siblings from two separate sides of family and then each (mom or dad) had extended family included.  So, bare minimum would be at least 10 people.  But normally a lot more than that.  So, in consideration of just the size of the gathering it was overwhelming and strange to me at first.  And loud. ha!

Last year, I chickened out.  There was going to be about 25-30 people and things still seemed new and raw and I wasn't ready.  This year worked out really well.  There were still family that I had not seen in years but it was safe because I knew that they already knew.  So, no surprises.  Also, after getting used to the chaos when it wasn't around I missed it!

Before I went, as I was packing I decided I wanted a BIG project bag that could hold either a big project or a bunch of little ones.  So I made this giant bag and used snaps as a closure!  I love these snaps!  They are the Dritz Babyville snaps that you can find at Joann.  The snap setter tool is really easy to use and the snaps go on easily and snap well.  I had toyed around with the metal snaps but getting the prongs to line up and then set was a pain and didn't work well with thicker fabric.

As you can see the bag is really big!  I think George would actually fit inside, ha!  So I packed my cross stitching and a hat project as a back up to my shawl.  They did all fit in this one bag, in their own separate bags.
Good thing I knit!  For travelling I could see where if I wasn't knitting I would have been bored, bored, bored!

This was the bedroom that I stayed in at the Smith casa.  It was so tall!  I had to grab a chair to climb into, no joke.  Another side note, everyone and I mean everyone in Scott's family is tall! So tall.  Scott was 6'8".  I'm a pretty respectable 5'6" but comparatively I'm a Hobbit.  But anyway!  The bed, once I could get in it was so, SO comfy!!!  And the room was bright and beautiful.  The weather was beautiful the whole time.

Monday my sister in law and I spent the day at the beach. Tuesday we went and rode roller coasters at Knott's Berry Farm.  It was so fun!!!  I do love roller coasters even though I am terrified of heights.  And will sometimes get vertigo.  But roller coasters!  I love them so.  The last one we went on was at night and it was a full moon and it was thrilling and we laughed and laughed.  

So this picture I find amusing.  The weather was beautiful but for San Diego it was cold.  Anything under 70 is like freezing to them.  So this is Lacey, my sister in law and her son in front of the fire that my FIL made.  It was so, so cozy!  There's just something about a roaring fire.  I think this was Wednesday after a day of pie making and preparation.  

 I didn't get any pics at Thanksgiving.  It was such a good, bittersweet, lovely, touching, busy day. My Father in law has such a tender heart that he shared with us.  I was honored to be there.

Inevitably, there is a hole where Scott should have been.  Some moments where I know he would have made a joke, or told a story, were just empty.  But, really, it was the best it could be.  There was still plenty of laughter, lots of other's stories.  I even talked Lacey into playing piano earlier in the day so there was the music.  I am thankful for Scott, not only for his life, but because he brought me into his family.

Friday I left with a heart and mind full of new memories and love.  The trip home did not go as expected, which I think is actually pretty typical of holiday travel, yes?  But, again, I had my knitting!  So I wasn't upset because it was still better than driving 14+ hours by myself.
 It was an icy snowy drive home, and this was my street this morning.  The snow is sticking which might mean we have a real winter this year!  yikes.  Rocky and George were so excited to see me, and I them.  Today I have not gone out, and may not.
I hope you all had nice Thanksgivings if you celebrate.  One tradition that we've done is to go around the room and say something we're thankful for.  I think it's nice to reflect on all the blessings we all have and share that.  Each day I can find an abundance of things to be thankful for.  I hope you can too.

No comments: