Monday, November 9, 2015

fiber mania

So yesterday!  My friend Charese (who is a fairy princess) and I thought it would be fun to go to a fiber festival over in Grants Pass.  It's about a 2 hour drive from here, it rained almost the whole time!  But, sometimes it's just fun to get out of town for a little bit, you know?

A lot of times I see people in other areas of the States going to these fabulous fiber things that have lots of indie dyers, spinners, cool stuff.  There are a couple that I know of in Northern Oregon, but that's like 6 hours away.....or California, but again hours away.  So I did some googling and found this website: knitter's review. It has like every fiber festival for the year listed in month order and with a link to the festival.  I found one called Fiber Mania that is close to me.

It was at the fairgrounds in Grants Pass.  It was so fun!  The great thing about fibery folks is they are mostly all friendly.  Also inspiring!  Like seeing all the interesting things people are making.  There was a LOT of felting going on - felted animals, felted shapes onto knitwear, felted soaps.

There was one stall in particular that I wanted to literally buy everything in it!  It was Stitched Bliss.  In that stall was a feature wall of this indie dyer Wee chickadee woolery.  OMG.  The saturation of color was like overwhelming!  So beautiful!  I had a hard time deciding which color to choose.  I picked a turquoise speckled called Fox's Wedding.  I also picked a mini skein of another speckled, it didn't have a color name on it.  I thought it would be fun to do as a contrast heel or toe for socks.  Also!  So clever.  Her business card has a little teensy skein attached, she said enough to make a hexi-puff or square for a blanket.
The brown is an alpaca that I picked up to make a gift.  One thing: this yarn is like perfumed!!!  I soaked it in cold water last night to try and rinse out the scent but it still smells.  Any advice there on how to get the perfume out of the fiber would be very welcome!

At one of the first stalls we stopped at there were these little sheepies!  So cute!  There were various colors and some that had felted sweaters on.  I really liked the ones with sweaters but the price difference was huge: $48 for sweatered and $10 for not sweatered.   


We had a great time, Charese doesn't knit but did find some little gift items.  We had a late lunch and then hit the road back home.  It was snowing over the pass!!!  aye.  But, a wet rainy snow.  It looks from the weather cams that it did stick a bit by Lake of the Woods.  A reminder that winter is just around the corner!

No comments: