Sunday, October 11, 2015

just gotta cast on

I started a new shawl.  I figured I should cast on now while I'm excited about my last finish.  I picked the pattern called Duchess of Devonshire by Kay F Jones of the Bakery Bears podcast.  So far, so good!
Yesterday, Jan, Mya and I drove up to Bend to go shopping.  I wanted to check out the new Hobby Lobby.  I've been to that store before in other states but it's new to Oregon so hasn't been here very long.  It was definitely everything I remembered it to be and I came out a happy camper!  I bought this Strawberry Shortcake fabric there with the intention of making a new project bag.  
I've had this zipper for awhile, waiting for the right project and this was it!  I tried out a boxy pouch that is lined and I like it!  It's pretty roomy and I remembered to add a handle for easy carrying.
I added some beads and a cute cupcake charm for a zipper pull.

Okay, so let's talk yarn for a few.  Since I couldn't wait to start a new shawl I picked yarn from my stash.  Which is a good thing!  The only issue is that I usually am buying sock yarn that I just buy one skein at a time because it's plenty for socks with leftovers.  But, the shawl is like 600 yards and most of the skeins I have top out at 490.  So I didn't let it stop me, I picked this Misti alpaca in the colorway Bird of Paradise.  I love it!  The colors are so interesting as it works up.  So, while at Hobby Lobby in the yarn section I found these two skeins of lace weight for clearance!  I figured one of them might look nice as the edged border.  The more I look at them I think the dark pink one will be good.  It looks really red in the picture but it matches really closely to the pink in the variegated yarn.




No comments: