Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Oh Jane

You know how it is when you see a movie, read a book, or some sort of art or media or song or whatever just catches you and holds you and sticks? I knew I loved Jane Eyre from the movies. I didn't realize exactly how much until I read the book. I want to crawl into the book and live there. The cadence is wonderful. I came across this line and it really captures, for me, why I love it: "This was very pleasant; there is no happiness like that of being loved by your fellow-creatures, and feeling that your presence is an addition to their comfort." This quote comes about after coming home to the first place where she's felt love and acceptance. I think that many of us have grown up in homes where we are loved, at least somewhat. Imagine not feeling like anyone loved you ever and you were a burden to their very existence in life. That was Jane's reality until she came to this home. There, she was an addition to their comfort, not a detraction. I love that. I love rooting for a character and being truly pleased that finally she gets to feel loved. I think that all of us, even grumpy people who may not want to admit it, want to know that we are loved and that even our presence is a comfort. Like, just walking into a room will make someone else happy and content. I'm still mulling this story, these characters, the countryside......love it all. In case you haven't noticed, I'd totally recommend reading this book!

No comments: