Friday, July 22, 2011

jam on

So here's a picture of the first batch of strawberry rhubarb jam that I made last Sunday.  I used the recipe out of my Ball Blue Book of Preserving.  It is a very easy recipe.  The thing with canning that I've found is that once you get everything set up and the water boiling it's easy to just make a bunch of stuff.  However, I didn't think ahead and had only bought one box of Ball pectin.  I had to stop after the first batch and run to the store for more pectin and then I did another batch.  
 
 So, you can kind of see up close here better that there are bubbles in my jam.  I'm not really sure how to get rid of that???  I skimmed the froth off the top of the jam after boiling it, but still all of the jars I made have bubbles.  But, all in all, I'm happy with the way it turned out!  I gave one jar to my friend Kristin who had said that she loves rhubarb and she said she liked it, so I think it was a success! :)
So, what's on the plate for this weekend???  I only have one thing planned, which is Kristin's son's first birthday tomorrow night.  I might make at least one skirt?  Last weekend I made one, it turned out pretty cute, very comfy.  I think I might add some lace to it, we'll see.

No comments: