Sunday, September 27, 2009

Quilt and glitter pumpkin


I had the quilt laid out, but it just wasn't looking right. So, I have been arranging and rearranging again and again. Is this normal??? I hope so. Right now, I have it so that the colors go from light at the top to dark at the bottom, based on the bottom layer of square. Not sure if I fully love it right now, but it's getting closer than at first. BTW June thinks that just because there is fabric on the floor, it is a bed so I am constantly shooing her off!!! Silly girl :)
I finally glittered the pumpkin last night. I had bought the ugliest ever foam pumpkin at a thrift store for 50cents, with the intent of covering it in glitter! Believe it or not, orange glitter is somewhat of a rare commodity around here. Unless, of course I want to spend $10 on Martha Stewart glitter, which I did not. I finally found a card kit at Big Lots that was actually Martha Stewart with 4 different colors for $2 - that's more my budget. So, last night transformed the ugly to beautiful :)

I found that putting a pin in the stem was helpful when I had more gluey-glittery sides so that I could hold on to that and not smudge as much as possible.


I put 4 pins in the bottom of the pumpkin to elevate it so that it would dry without sticking to the surface of the table. I might make another one alternating orange and black glitter, I think that would be fun :)
Et voila! C'est finis!!!

1 comment:

roseylittlethings said...

Very good idea with the pins, I will have to remember that next time I get to glitter:) OK... I get a little picky about quilts too, not quite to the point of figuring out exact amounts of each fabric. I do arrange and re arrange before sewing the quilt top together, and like to have my colors and patterns evenly spaced throughout the quilt. I have learned after making a few that you have to let go a bit and go with the flow... they all end up beautiful! It was hard for me to let the girls help with the arrangement of the zig zag top.. but I did and we will have that as memories even if it is not exactly how I would have done it:)