Sunday, May 24, 2009

My heart today

Okay, so I really should be packing. What is going on is that the house we live in doesn't have a foundation, it is a really old house that is built on a hill but doesn't have a foundation. So, we have to move out while the foundation is put in and also I think a basement (?). The thing is, I'm really burned out on packing. And worrying. I found a house that I'd love to move into; it's close to where I work, quiet neighborhood, clean. Downfalls? I have been out of touch with "real" renting in so long! The rent is more than double of what we have been paying, AND we have to pay $30 per person to apply to live there. I know, I know, apparently this is standard. So everyone tells me. It's like, let me get this straight, I have to pay to apply and then I might not even get the house I want??? I'm sorry, but that's a bum deal. I have been spoiled.
I have to share a little of church this morning though, so I had to take a break. I honestly was just blown away! I attend a Calvary Chapel church and the thing with Calvary churches that I love is that they go through scripture verse by verse, chapter by chapter. For me, that's what works. So, we are in Titus 3, and today was verses 1-8. Titus is kind of like an instruction manual for what the church should be. Chapter 3 is like a review of what the gospel teaches. It starts off, "Remind the people". I'm not going to get into the whole thing, just the part that hit me on the head. Verse 3-7, "at one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another. But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs by his grace, having the hope of eternal life."
But what does that mean? We all, without probably realizing it are sinners. We just are. But, God loved us anyways - check out Romans 5:8, "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." We did nothing to earn His love, and can do nothing to earn it - He just loves us, all of us. We can choose to accept His love or reject it. When we accept it, and let the Holy Spirit into our hearts we are reborn and renewed. This is huge. When our hearts are renewed, it is because of God's love. When our minds are renewed, it is because of God's love. The credit all goes to God. What I mean when I say renewed is this: before accepting Christ I would have looked at someone with anger - even little things. Like they cut me off in the grocery store and I'd be like "that jerk!". But now, when I feel that twinge of anger, the Holy Spirit is there to prick me. It can happen before or afterwards, but now it happens. I think differently, feel differently. I'll let things roll off, maybe say a prayer for someone, or smile at them instead of scowl. With big things it is pretty much the same, I pray and try to think how does God want me to deal with this? Right here is the hard part, where I think most people give up. We have to be in the word of God, reading the bible daily, seeking Him. But when we do we find Him and His love is obvious. He is there to shelter us, protect, love, be our friend, it goes on and on.
The part that really hit me on the head is that the Pastor today kept saying, I know this is all review, I know we all know this. Yeah, we SHOULD, is what I wanted to reply. The sad part is, I don't know that everyone does. At the beginning of the chapter, it said "Remind the people" and I think that's exactly what I needed. My head has been spinning about this move, I've lost touch with my friends and family, my devotions, everything feels out of control and the last thing I was thinking was that "God love me no matter what"! After church, my heart and mind were renewed by the reminder of His love for me!
Off the subject, I wanted to share this picture I took. One of the parks here has an entire lawn covered with flags for Memorial Day. The date is wrong, sorry.

No comments: