Sunday, May 31, 2009

More projects

Okay, so here are a couple finished projects. A lady at work is pregnant and had her shower yesterday. I had been looking at a baby registry for my hairdresser and she had requested a nursing cover, and she said something like "those are cool." Well, it doesn't take much to encourage me to make something! So, I had kind of been wanting to make one for someone for awhile actually, like a year. At my old job there was a lady who was nursing and had made herself one, and I had never seen one and thought it was cool and thought it might also make a good gift. I think the hardest part was deciding which fabric I would use. The checkered looking one I lined because the fabric was a teensy bit see-through. I used exactly a yard for each and just cut a strip off one end of the width to make the strap. On the brown one, I just hemmed around the border, so easy. In between the straps there is some boning that I just made a casing around, it makes the cover stand away from the body a little bit to be able to see down to the baby. Then, I was a little stumped as to what to do with the straps. Since I have never had to think about nursing, I wasn't sure what would be the easiest thing?? Straps fixed, adjustable, or velcro, buttons, who knows? I asked around and the consensus seemed to be that velcro would work just fine, but one person brought up a great point that when the baby might get a little older to tug it might not hold as well? So, I poked around one of my sewing boxes and found some "D" rings and also one of those clasp things that you use on overalls. So, I used one of each so they are both adjustable. :) I also made her a couple of pacifier clips, inspired from my friend Jen, who sells them in her Shoppe. The one with the dragonflies is actually just ribbon, both I used velcro as a closure. All in all I think she liked everything. I also bought my standard gift, which is some Beaudreax's Butt Paste and a Carter's hooded towel. I usually also get a cute little onesy or outfit but thought I had enough to make a good gift. Sorry the pics aren't that great, they were in my car and folded.

So, in other news, our geese are getting soooo big! They are so cute and I love them dearly! No names yet. Hubby bought them as little babies and they have graduated into the chicken coop. They don't have honks yet, just a cute little squawk. The other day I was taking water out to them and had June in tow and she stuck her head in the door of the coop and one of the geese hissed at her! They are so funny. They come up to me now, especially since I take them water.







The other night we had the most fabulous thunderstorm! Oh, how I love a good thunderstorm! The sky was dark and the air was a little charged, it was great! When we lived in Tennessee those were the BEST storms, but depending on if there could be a tornado attached it would get kinda scary. Man, those are some of the best memories. The pouring, pouring rain and humidity and lightening bugs. I have no way to describe how comforting to me that combination of feelings is to me.

So, whenever there is a warm rain, I just love it. And, we have a metal roof so the rain sounds awesome! There was also a huge rainbow across the back yard. I didn't get the entire arch, just each side. And, I didn't notice until posting this that it looks double.

1 comment:

roseylittlethings said...

Everything came out so great. Glad you found the D-rings, I saw one online yesterday that had D=rings and figured it was too late to tell you! Thanks for the mention:) Having a swap, check it out!