Sunday, December 7, 2008

What's new?

Oh man, I have been neglecting my blog for a little bit - sorry! I just have had too much to do, which is good :) The most fun thing was that I was asked to teach some ladies a card class for the ladies Christmas brunch which was yesterday. It was really not a big to-do but it was super fun. There were like 50 ladies there so I had prepared 100 cards of two different designs. But, only about 15 or so ladies actually did the class. Which is fine because now I have LOTS of multi-purpose cards to use for myself!
Getting ready was a perfect storm of procrastination, getting a cold, and underestimating how long it would take to cut up all the paper, figure out my design and cut out the die cuts. I wanted to be completely organized so that I would not get flustered in front of everyone! I had rented a cricut cartridge from the scrapbook store to use with my cricut machine for the cupcake designed card. Unfortunately, the cartridge I thought would be perfect was not. There was an ice cream cone shape that I thought I could just cut off the pointy part of the cone and voila - cupcake.....but the ice cream scoop part was really round and just looked like an ice cream scoop in a cup. Hmmmm. So I had to improvise. Improvising with 50 cards to make is a little tricky. After a little trial and error I got it figured out, then ran out of my backround cupcake paper. Bah! The paper I had I actually bought when I was over in Medford, which is over an hour away....so I found a diffent cupcake printed paper at the store after work Friday and then ran home to start cutting. Once I had the design it was cake (hee, hee!) and I just cut it all up and put them in little baggies so the ladies could just put everything together. Saturday morning I woke up bright and early and put together the second card design - which was another super easy one.
It was seriously a whirlwind teaching the class. The ladies were a mix of understanding levels - some got it right away and others I really had to walk through. There were quite a few that were apprehensive about even doing it because "they weren't crafty" or whatnot. Another lady, Irene also did a class before mine - she did Christmas cards that were SUPER cute! I'm totally stealing her idea ;) She had brought a bunch of those scissors that cut different edges, which I usually don't use b/c I prefer a straight edge. The ladies had so much fun with them though, and they could really take our designs and make it their own. They were all so thankful to us for showing them how to do the cards! It was great to be able to show someone who didn't think they were crafty or could do it that they COULD! I've never had that type of experience and I can't even articulate how blessed I was to share with them a little of what I feel every time I make something and like the outcome.
Of course, I didn't think to take pictures! I did think ahead and bring my camera, but didn't use it. I have a couple pics of the swaps I did but am waiting until the second swap gets to her before posting, even though I don't think she reads my blog. Oh, I almost forgot! We're doing a cookie exchange at work tomorrow so I am going to bake ginger cookies! Yum.

1 comment:

Lynn - JnL4God said...

Small-ish town in Southern OR. Hmm I think I might know it. I grew up in a very small town about 40 miles south of a small-ish town in southern Or. Nice to meet you I came over from the ornament exchange and the location caught my eye. Drop by my blog if you want and we can discuss our home towns. :)
Blessings,
Lynn