Sunday, February 28, 2016

reality sets in

I'm not going to lie, my first weekend of being a homeowner has been hard.  There has been panic and tears.  We knew that was coming, right?  I was way more naive and optimistic than I'd like to admit.  I really kind of thought I'd get away with cleaning, regrouting and painting.  

It started small.  I was trying to get the grout from in between the tiles.  Which actually turns out are pink tiles painted white!!!  The grout also was painted over.  The caulk was very, very difficult to get loose.  It's super thick and like rubber glue.  One of the tiles at the bottom was sort of bowed out a bit.  I was working at the caulk and I noticed it was loose.  I really wanted to ignore it.  But it's like a loose tooth, it wants you to pull it!  So I did.  See that empty spot?

Yeah.  I have no idea what was actually holding the tile in place!  Whatever was behind it has crumbled completely away.  Right here is when I started panicking and crying.  All I could picture at that point was that I'd have to rip the entire bathroom out.  And dollar signs.  And I don't actually know how to do anything.  I mean youtube only gets you so far and frankly I don't have the wifi set up out there yet so I'd really get no where.

Thank God for friends.  Seriously.  I called Karla who said she and her husband Aaron would drive out and take a look.  They assured me it wasn't as bad as it looks.  The wood is still solid, and can be worked with.  That was Friday night.  First day of homeownership.

This was Saturday: 
Aaron took all the tile out.  Mostly the water damage is under the window.  The other two walls look okay.  Then, he took out the old light fixture to put in a new one I bought and the new one was too long and hit the medicine cabinet.  He took the medicine cabinet down and surprise!  There is just hole in the wall behind the cabinet.  

Um, yeah.  I did cry some more, not going to lie.  Because I'm overwhelmed.  But!  The good side is that I found this all the first day instead of after moving all in.  At least right now I still have my rental for 27 more days, where I can shower :)

Karla was a rockstar yesterday and painted most of my new bedroom.  Today all I had to do was one more coat on one wall and along the top where she couldn't reach and a few touch ups.  And, I have really not painted before - other than one room at our old house.  Yep, amateur hour over here!  I globbed paint on the ceiling.  It's a pretty close match but it you look too closely it's obvious it doesn't match.  I avoided the bottom trim because I was fairly certain I'd end up painting the floor too.

I've been taking Rocky with me each time I go out there so he gets used to the new house.  Today he was really relaxed and is more comfortable going in rooms without coaxing.  Here he is snoozing on the job!  hahaha he made himself a little dog nest with the sheets and towel.  

I plan to get out there after work every day and paint a little each time.  Oh and there are tack strips that were left from old carpet that was removed so I plan to pull a bit of those each day too.  Fun, fun!  I think it will be satisfying (?) once each project is done.  I have a feeling there will be no shortage of projects! ha 

No comments: