I know it's a little risky embroidering a name before the baby is born but I went ahead anyway. The middle looked too bare without something there. I drew out his name and then a little monkey holding onto the tail of the R.
I realized just now that I didn't get a good picture of the finished quilt! This is very blurry I know, but you can at least see what the whole of it looks like. For the center I followed the Building Blocks Baby Quilt on the Moda Bake Shop website. I had intended on following the entire pattern until I finished the borders on the middle part. Then I was like, nope! Also I wasn't sure I'd have enough of the darker navy print to get a bigger border. I did use that print as the binding though since I do a bias binding it doesn't need much to get enough binding for the entire quilt.
I got out of my comfort zone for the quilting. I did all over loop-de-loops in the patchwork area. In the white borders I did straight line quilting and then stippled teensy tiny in the middle. I did NOT like the loopies. Nope. Too easy to get out of control, stitch definition suffers and the quilts are too heavy for me to maneuver that way. Even though it's a baby quilt it gets heavy! Finished size was just about 50"x50". Yesterday was her baby shower, which I did gift it them but it was the longest shower in the world so I left before I saw her open it. I'm bummed about that but I went with a friend and we had already been there over 2 hours and it was going to be at least over another hour before they would be getting to gifts, so we gave up. Boo.
In knitting news I finally knit a Bakery Bear!!!
Doesn't look like a bear though! ha! I have seriously been wanting to knit a Bakery Bear since the pattern came out. I bought the pattern ages ago, but have just been working on so many other things! One of the doctors at the office who is really cool just had a baby. Well, rather, his wife had a baby! Her name is Karleigh, and when I heard the name I wanted to knit a little kitten! It's like I had to. Had. To. And I knew that she needed to have tights and wear a little lacy dress. I originally wanted a fuzzy yarn but couldn't find one suitable. However.
At Joann's I lurked the 2 yarn aisles searching for the perfect, right yarn. These 3 wool ease yarns have been on my radar for years. They just look like the go together. I've always tried to think of a good reason to buy them but didn't have a project. Until now. (cue maniacal laugh) Yes!
Boy this picture is pretty washed out. Sorry about that. But! you can see the lace pretty well on the dress. I've had a book in my crafty library forever called The Encyclopedia of Knit and Crochet Stitch Patterns. It has all kinds of knit and crochet techniques and stitches and gives you the pattern of the stitch that you can add into any pattern that has the right stitch count. I don't know if that makes any sense? I've always wished I could be clever enough to make up a pattern and I think fitting a stitch into an existing pattern may be the closest I'll get to that wish! Anyhow, this is stitch pattern #311 in the book which is like a lacy drop.
I used the ears from the knitted fox pattern I have from Little Cotton Rabbits, I just added 2 rows to make them a bit bigger. I used the tail pattern from the Gelato Giraffe pattern by the same designer as the Bakery Bear, again just extended a bit and left off the fringe. The nose is still the same from the Bakery Bear pattern I just looped the yarn about the bottom and pulled tight to make little kitty cheeks.
Speaking of kitty cheeks. George was not having it when I was trying to take pictures of the kitty. First off this is her chair. She was not willing to share her chair with another cat, real or not! ha
I have another big project in the works but I'll share more once it gets closer :) (hopefully next weekend) I just don't want to jinx anything! Hope you have a great week!