Sunday, September 20, 2015

what happens at the beach

Rocky and I spent last weekend at the coast.  I had been feeling antsy and anxious and like I needed to get away for a little while.  I found a really great price per night at the hotel I usually stay at and packed up my boy and we went!  It was great.  So so good.

Here we are in the driveway - Rocky doesn't even know we'd be at the beach in 4 hours!

We got to Crescent City at about 4:30pm and luckily the yarn store was still open!  So the last time I was in CC was in April and I had bought some delicious yarn.  But, I had hemmed and hawed about this one skein and didn't end up buying it.  And then on the drive to Trinidad I immediately kicked myself because the greens were exactly reflected in the canopy of trees and ferns and bit of blue sky.  On this trip I was determined to find and buy that skein of yarn, which I did :) 
Okay so I know that the picture on the left is not great, I took it just on the side of the road.  But, you can kind of see the different greens and imagine that the foggy sky was actually blue.  I'm so glad I got there in time to buy this yarn!  I'm thinking of making the Whispering Pines shawl from Molly of a Homespun House.  

Next stop, the beach!  One of the great things about Crescent City is that almost any road you turn down will get you to the ocean.  There's an easy to get to beach that Rocky and I strolled down for a couple hours.  Lots of fun for my boy!  There were tide pools, barnacles, kelp, stinky stuff, sticks, rocks - all the good stuff.

 Right before dark we drove to another beach and saw the coolest, different thing.  A lady was riding a horse up and down the beach holding an American flag.  Keep in mind Friday was September 11th so it was quite meaningful.  At first I thought it was odd, then I thought it was cool - she was actively expressing herself in a way that everyone watching understood and could feel.

Saturday was Trinidad day.  It was perfect.  Yes, overcast and foggy but still warm.  Rocky is used to the beach now so didn't need my constant reassurance and affection, he just stayed close and chilled.  I laid right on the beach and hunted for agates.  Early in the evening Rocky let me know he was hungry and thirsty and chilly so we left.  For so many reasons, so many, that beach has my heart.

It used to be when I'd go over to the coast I'd wake up early on Sunday and jet home to pick up the dogs from the kennel.  But!  With my boy alongside me I could take my time, meander one last time along the beach.
Of course, Rocky and I did have a difference of opinion about what was fun that day.  I wanted to walk along the shore in the water.  He wanted nothing to do with the water.  ha!  Good thing for long retractable leashes, yes?  
Oh!  One oddball thing we saw before we left!  I know the bottom pic is hard to see what's going on.  But maybe you can just see there is a gathering of people in the distance.  If you click on the picture you'll get a better view.

I didn't get too close because I wasn't sure at first what was happening.  Turns out it was a group letting a seal go back to the ocean.  There were people holding signs and at first I thought it was going to be some sort of protest about to happen.  Then someone wheeled a large kennel on wheels down the beach.  There was someone videoing someone else talking, I couldn't hear it over the waves.  And then I saw a light colored seal squirming itself along back into the water.  It was very quick!  After it was out of sight the crowd dissipated except for a few stragglers.  It seemed very meaningful to them, one couple was holding each other crying. (?) After that I felt like Rocky and I should skeedaddle.
All in all it was perfect.  We relaxed a ton.  Rocky got more familiar with the beach, I got some more freckles.  So good.

No comments: