Tuesday, February 25, 2014

family weekend

Let's see, what do I feel like talking about?  First, this past weekend I drove down to Chico to visit my Mom and be a witness for my best friend's convalidation at the Catholic church which is basically like renewing of vows.  I got to be at their original wedding also so it was really dear to my heart. It also happened to be their 15 year anniversary, so it was  a really special thing that I got to witness.  The weather could not have been more beautiful!  I left 40-50 degrees, it was sunny the whole drive and then getting into town it was 62!  It was great. I know that they are hurting for rain but I was really glad to have a taste of Spring.

Two things I can always be sure of when I visit my Mom, there will be fabric and there will be thrift stores.  Friday afternoon we went to Goodwill and it was intense!  Compared to Klamath, Chico is like a big city.  So their Goodwill store is not bigger than ours really but a TON more stuff!  We took at least an hour to get through the aisles with the housewares, holiday decor, books, toys.  

I found some great deals.  I got a food processor for $10, it turns out it's missing the S-blade but the grater and slicer work great.  I will use it for grating soap to make laundry soap.  I found a ton of little crafty items.  The best part was that I found some toy dinosaurs! I really surprised Mom with that one :) But, I saw an idea on pinterest and want to try it out, it requires toy dinosaurs.  I'll let you know how it turns out!

Saturday was the ceremony, and afterwards we went to lunch.  Then, I dragged Mom to the park and made her sit with me while I knitted.  I love to do that, make her sit still for a little bit and just chat.  Then we drove to Durham to see the orchards in bloom.  It was beautiful!  There is an overpass that you drive up so you're above the trees and when you look out it is a sea of pink white blossoms.  Perfect.

I got to do a little "shopping" in Mom's sewing room where she has loads of fabric.

Looking at this stack you'd think I was in a green mood!  Lots of really fun prints in there.  This is fresh out of the dryer so it's pretty wrinkled and you can't really see everything.

This brown is probably my favorite.  It's got little lucky items scattered all over it.  So whimsical, very vintage.  I love it.  Will be saving this for something extra special.
 I took my boys with me and boarded them at the Meridian Kennels.  I just like being able to have them with me for the trip.  Joey loves the vet boarding here in town but Rocky doesn't.  I think he does okay once I'm gone but he acts like he's been really stressed out when I get home.  This kennel has a nice outdoor fenced yard area and I know that is a little more comfortable for him.  Joey loves it there too.  The picture above is them in the back seat, laying nose to paw.  Rocky slept the entire drive home.  I'm afraid he's actually turning into an old dog.  As far as I know he's at least 11 years old.  We've had him for 9 years and we don't know how old he was when we got him but we estimated 2-2 1/2. Joey is 8.5.  I hate to think of them getting old.

So, I have a triumph to report.  I read my first whole book since Scott died almost 11 months ago!  I took Divergent with me on a whim just in case I felt like reading.  Saturday night I started it and before I knew it was 1/2 way through!  I finished it last night, now I need to buy the next 2 in the series!  

No comments: