Sunday, April 22, 2012

weekend update

Last weekend was the scrapbooking retreat.  It was a good time.  Very low key and pretty quiet.  I feel like I got a good amount of pages done, 15.  I've definitely done more before but I did finish all the picture I brought with me.  I only have a couple more events and I will be up to current!  Yikes!  I need to start taking pictures of things other than quilts so I can scrapbook!  Of course, I do have my childhood pictures I could get started on too. 
So, along with everyone else I'm sure, I've been admiring chevron quilting.  But, it looked kinda tricky and fussy and therefore not something that I would be willing to do.  But one of the blogs that I read regularly, Stitched in Color had a post about a bee that she's involved in and it had chevrons.  So, as I was reading the post it hit me that it looks like log cabin corners!  Uh-huh.  So, I started with a triangle and just started building from there.  I am going to make a pillowcase with it, so I took a piece of tissue paper and folded it in thirds, but kinda wonky thirds and that's my template of sorts.  I have another piece to make and then I will square it up.  Kinda fun, huh?
100_3017[1] Since I have finished the quilts I had in my stack, I am free to start a new one.  I had a couple of weeks to think about what I wanted to do.  I had no inspiration at first.  But then, I had washed all that new fabric that I've just gotten and it was in a stack.  I did not intentionally buy that fabric to go together.  But, there it was all together and it just look right!
 100_3019[1]


But now, what pattern? This took me a few days. But then I remembered that I had seen a pattern awhile back that had caught my eye. Naturally I am too cheap, ahem, frugal, to actually buy it. So, I put myself to work researching. I have an older Fons and Porter magazine that has a practically identical pattern in it, so that started the foundation of the star within a star. A quick google search with the block name and I found a tute. Course, for the flying geese I am doing the no waste method, which I love. The best part for me is that the geese come out bigger than you actually need so you can trim them down perfectly.


100_3021[1] Here is my test version with vintage sheets.  I need to work on my seam allowances because they coming in just shy of 12.5 x 12.5.   Here is the first square of the quilt!  I love it!  Every large square is going to have that brown border star and then each middle will be either brown, orange, green or red. 
100_3024[1]
Yesterday I stopped in Joann's and came across this fat quarter.  Isn't it funny?  I have NO idea what I will do with it yet, but just knew I needed to have it! 
100_3023[1]
Yesterday I did a test run of riding my bike to work to see how long it would take.  Guess what?  8 minutes!  That is totally do-able.  Now I just need to figure out the lunch situation because those frozen meals upset my stomach.  And, I'm TOO much of a scrambler in the morning to actually make something.  Huh.
In other news, I started a new book last night, it's called The Preacher's Daughter by Beverly Lewis.  I was reorganizing my books and decided I should start reading some of the books on my shelf.  So far, it's pretty good.  I have not ever been disappointed by anything I've read by Beverly Lewis.
BTW, it's 81 degrees here today!  Love it.  I rode my bike to the library and it was fab.

No comments: