Saturday, July 25, 2009

Relay for Life

Last night was the Relay for Life here in town. Not sure if they have one in every town? It is a sort of fundraiser for cancer. There were speeches, survivor ceremonies, honoring the deceased, singing, dancing and loads of walking. It was a 12 hour event although I didn't stay the whole time (or anywhere close!). I left about 10 pm. There were some people who were going to walk all night, some people brought tents to sleep out in the field.

I think everyone knows of or is close to someone who has had cancer. I mostly went for my friends Shannon and Robbie. Shannon was one of the original Tuesday night bible study ladies. About last year she started to get really sick, losing tons of weight. We were all trying to diagnose her, she's only 36 so I don't think any of us (especially her) were prepared for a diagnosis of colon cancer. She has relied on God through the whole thing and is now officially a cancer survivor! Ya-hoo!

No comments: