Sunday, December 6, 2015

festivity

I made this pillow cover yesterday.  About this time every year it dawns on me that it's almost Christmas and some people might expect gifts.  And I don't really want to be embarrassed by not having anything to give.  But anyway, I came across this tutorial for this fair isle pillow which is kind of based on a fair isle Christmas quilt.  I had seen the quilt before but thought it was just too many small pieces for me to enjoy doing an entire quilt.  But a pillow?  yes!  

I changed the middle spires to green instead of red, I thought it may look a little Christmasy with more green.  And!  I finally got to use the striped fabric I bought at Hobby Lobby for binding.  I love it.

So today, I thought I'd make a couple more.  One for myself and one possibly for (maybe!) a craft fair box.  They both turned out a bit wonky in the centers.  The one on the right is super wonky.  I realized too late that I wasn't using my 1/4 inch foot.  Which really is a bigger than 1/4 inch seam but at least my points match up when I use it.  So! lesson learned.  Maybe once I quilt them it won't be as noticeable?

I do like the pattern.  It's festive without being tied down to only Christmas.  I think these can be used longer than just December.  I'm almost ready to quilt up the two I sewed today, then buy a couple pillow forms and be good to go.

I don't know if I mentioned that I put up my Christmas decorations last weekend.  I decided to just do it right at the beginning of December so the time wouldn't get away from me.  I've been enjoying the multicolored lights.  And I have my light up village set up and my nutcracker collection too.  I didn't get pics of those.

It's been really cold so it feels nice and cozy inside.  Oh! I just remembered I have some hot chocolate :) that will be nice tonight after dinner.

No comments: