Saturday, February 16, 2013

finally a finish!

Finally!  A finish.  I finished this quilt this afternoon.  I have to say the stippling went really fast on this one.  So, the gal I made this for asked for navy, brown, green and a pop of orange and she wanted it to have a vintage feel.  I am really not sure if it feels vintage or not but some of the fabrics feel that way.  The theme in the baby's room is airplanes and trucks.  And for real it's kind of hard to find those fabrics!  Of course, now that this is done they will pop up all over!  That always happens!arrow quiltHere's the back view.  I thought in my head that I had a whole bunch of that blue countryside scene fabric and turned out I didn't.  No matter though because I really like to do a fun pieced back.  My original idea was to have the arrows meet exactly in the middle, but again, didn't have enough of the blue to make that work.  I'm happy with how it turned out though.  The binding, which you can't really tell from the photos is a dark navy Denyse Schmidt that I got when Joann's was closing the old store at either 75 or 90% off, I don't remember.  Either way I got a screaming deal.  It's got a little print on it thast shows up more on the front.arrow quilt backI really just had to add this photo because while I was taking pics of the quilt the boys were, of course, running around in front, behind and around the quilt.  So, here you see a bit of Rocky at the bottom of the quilt sniffing around.100_3285[1]
I think I mentioned before but I will again that I got the idea for the pattern from the Moda Bake Shop "on the go" quilt.  Although I didn't really follow the pattern at all.  For mine I did a 4.5 x 9 flying geese block and then just attached it to 3 rectangles and then cut the whole thing down to 9" square.  It was really quick and easy.  In the moda pattern you are doing 2 half square triangles to make the point of the arrows and I really didn't want that seam down the middle of the tip and I didn't want to break up my patterns with that seam.  Less seams = better, for me.
And, to be fair so I don't seem biased towards one pup, here's Joey: 100_3287[1] He's just too cool to pose for a picture. Especially when he'd really rather be getting a treat or running amok.

No comments: